Info on Fleas
- Meticulous inspection
- Correct identification
- Treat pet (by homeowner or veterinarian)
- Thorough vacuuming (Daily)
- Effective application of an indoor product
- Effective application of an outdoor product
- Include Insect Growth Regulator in control program
- Conduct follow-up service
Complete metamorphosis in four stages: egg, larva, pupa, and adult. The entire life cycle can take from 14 to 174 days, depending on environmental conditions.
Understanding Flea Habits
and Life Cycle
- Fleas have 4 life stages: eggs, larvae, pupae, adults.
- After each blood meal, the female lays 11 to 46 eggs a day on the host animal. Some eggs may fall off from the host after they dry.
- Eggs hatch in about 10 days with the developing larvae feeding on the adult feces, which contain bits of dried blood.
- The larvae have three instar stages with the third instar pupating. Depending on environmental conditions, this can be a period of seven days to several months. When mature, they spin silk-like cocoons coated with local debris aiding in camouflaging the pupae.
- Under ideal conditions, adult fleas can emerge from
pupae after 5 days.
Where have they seen fleas on the premises and at what
locations are they getting bitten?
Where and when on their bodies, are they getting bitten?
Fleas often bite around the legs, feet, and ankles.
Make sure fleas are the problem. Find and positively
How many and what kind of pets do they own?
Have the pets been treated for fleas?
Ask about wildlife, strays, pets that may have visited, or
items brought into the home from places that potentially
Treat all carpet, cracks in wood floors, rugs, under
furniture, cracks, and crevices. Pay close attention to areas
where pets frequent and rest. Treat under beds and couches. Remove the couch
cushions and treat underneath. Pay close attention to
cracks, tufts in fabric and pet beds.
Treat all pet runs, shaded areas, fence lines and any
areas frequented by pets and/or wildlife.
Remember to consider the structural design of the
home. Structures with pier and beam and crawl space
construction may harbor fleas as well. Treat these areas if
Remember to treat in areas where wildlife or strays rest